Here are the reasons I'd like to thank Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, and my local grocer for having 25 checkout lanes and only three open at any given time.
- I can run next door and pick up my dry cleaning.
- I can catch up on my magazine reading without buying any.
- I can catch a quick catnap now rather than on the drive home.
- I can finally apply my top coat of nail polish with plenty of drying time.
- I can practice my standup comedy routines on unsuspecting fellow customers.
- I can assess what other people have in their carts and get exciting new dinner ideas.
- I have time to leave my cart in line and run back to get the 13 things on my list I forgot.
The 12-year-old boy stood patiently beside the clock counter while the store clerk waited on all of the adult customers first. Finally he got around to the youngster, who made his purchase and hurried out to the curb, where his father was impatiently waiting in his car.
"What took you so long, son?" he asked.
"The man waited on everybody in the store before me," the boy replied. "But I got even."
"I wound and set all the alarm clocks while I was waiting," the youngster explained happily. "It's going to be fun at eight o'clock."